As quick and easy as any other pancake preparation, using an aluminum cookie cutter as a mold adds much charm and makes the pancakes perfect sized for picking up and dipping!
- Spray cooking oil
- Open face aluminum cookie cutter(s)
- Batch of pancake batter with 1 thinly sliced banana folded in (my recipe can be found below)
1. Start by coating the interior of the cookie cutter with the spray oil (this will ensure the batter doesn't stick when it's time to flip) and spraying the skillet
2. Place cookie cutter with its "cutting" edge directly on your hot skillet
3. Pour batter directly into the cutter, about 1/4" to 1/2" deep
5. Use a tea towel or lightweight potholder to grasp the cookie cutter and lift up, the pancake should ease out of the mold and will now be sitting on its own in the pan (see image)
6. Flip to brown opposite side
7. Serve with dipping sauce of choice
Below is a picture of my little guy, Otto, dipping his banana butterfly pancakes in some no-sugar added blackberry sauce from Apple Annie's (a local southern AZ farm with amazing jellies, syrups, salsas and relishes).
The recipe I use is a barely re-worked version of the Joy of Cooking "basic pancakes" recipe. I've reduced the size of the batch by half without reducing the quantity of banana so mine end up crazy banana heavy; I also combined some of the stirring steps (in the original version you mix all the dry stuff together, then all the liquid, then combine - but I find that if you work fast there's no need to do this in 3 steps and dirty extra bowls); and we use whole wheat flour instead of of all-purpose.
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 & 1/2 TBSP sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cups milk
1 & 1/2 TBSP butter or unsalted butter
1 jumbo brown egg
1 big banana sliced very thinly
Optional - a wee splash of vanilla, almond extract, pinch of nutmeg, and/or cinnamon
1. Preheat skillet on med/low (just under the halfway mark on the heat dial) for about 3 minutes
2. Throw all ingredients in a bowl and briskly stir with a fork until combined
3. Follow the above recipe and you'll end up with dipping pancakes!