right? anyways... otto helped me make biscotti just last week and it turned out awesomeballs! we even used whole wheat flour and still awesomeballs!
so this recipe is modified but not a whole lot from the Joy of Cooking "reduced fat classic biscotti" recipe -->
what you need...
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 egg whites
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
what you do...
1. Preheat oven 375' & grease a cookie sheet
2. Get everything measured and ready cause you're gonna throw it all in a big bowl at once
3. Throw everything in a big bowl at once
4. Stir until smooth (confession: towards the end I use my hands to really get the last bits mixed in)
5. Flour your hands and shape dough into 2 cylindrical rolls, each about 12" long
6. Place on cookie sheet apart from each other and press so they're flatter (but not super flat)
7. Bake 25 minutes
8. Let cool like 5 minutes, cut into about 1/2" slices (I do this on the cookie sheet, but my cookie sheets are soooo not precious)
9. Lay the slices flat on the cookie sheet
10. Bake 10 more minutes
is all! they are so easy and sooooo good... you know who agrees with me? Dr. Freakincute!
Dr. Freakincute kinda needs a haircut but i don't want to! i'm hoping if i hang in there long enough they'll do some kind of side sweep thing and he can grow it out longish.
returning to the biscotti --> you can also mix in pretty much anything you want. we've used dried cherries, dark chocolate shavings, raisins, butterscotch chips... i know Rebecca made them recently with white chocolate & macadamia, um yeah!
ok, go forth and bake! smoke long blag cigs! steal my LL Cool J story and tell it like it's your own! oh, and have an awesome weekend!